VCAT is established by the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal Act 1998.
Under this law, the president and vice presidents are responsible for our management and administration. They are supported in this task by the President's Advisory Committee - for details, see Our leadership.
We have four divisions, each led by a deputy president: administrative, civil, human rights and residential tenancies. We handle similar types of cases through 'Lists' within each division. List is the name we give to sections of VCAT that hear and decide specific types of cases.
Our chief executive officer oversees the administration executive and registry functions that enable the divisions to do their work.
Deputy presidents and the chief executive officer report to the President.
President and Vice Presidents
Justice Michelle Quigley
Fourteen County Court judges serve as vice presidents. For details, see our list of VCAT members.
Head of Division - Deputy President Heather Lambrick
Administrative Division deals with professional conduct inquiries and applications from people seeking review of decisions made by government and other authorities. It has three Lists:
- Legal Practice
- Planning and Environment
- Review and Regulation.
Head of Division - Deputy President Cathy Aird
The Civil Division hears and determines a range of civil disputes relating to:
- consumer matters
- domestic building works
- owners corporation matters
- retail tenancies
- sale and ownership of property
- use or flow of water between properties.
Civil Division has three Lists:
- Civil Claims
- Building and Property
- Owners Corporations.
Head of Division - Deputy President Genevieve Nihill AM
The Human Rights Division deals with matters relating to:
- guardianship and administration
- power of attorney
- medical treatment and advance care directives
- equal opportunity
- racial and religious vilification
- health and privacy information
- the Disability Act 2006 (Vic)
- decisions made by the Mental Health Tribunal.
Human Rights Division has two Lists:
- Guardianship, including Powers of Attorney
- Human Rights.
Head of Division - Deputy President Heather Barker
The Residential Tenancies Division deals with matters involving:
- residential tenants and landlords
- rooming house owners and residents
- the Director of Housing and public housing tenants
- caravan park owners and residents
- site tenants and site owners.
This division has one List: Residential Tenancies.
Administration Executive and Registry
Acting Chief Executive Officer - Mary Amiridis
Principal Registrar - Carolyn McSporran
Director, Operations - Melissa Biram
Director, Corporate Services - Barbara Oleczek
Director, Information Technology - Michael Van Der Arend
The Administrative Executive and Registry provides:
- registry, listings and customer services
- people management
- strategic communications
- information technology
- finance and reporting.