Application by a caravan park resident or caravan park owner

If you are a caravan park resident or caravan park owner or operator you can apply to VCAT to decide a dispute.

The law defines a caravan park owner as a person who owns or partly owns a business which operates a caravan park.

A person is a caravan park resident if they occupy the site as their only or main residence. They must have the owner’s prior written consent or have occupied any site in the park for at least 60 consecutive days.

A caravan park is an area of land where movable dwellings are situated for occupation and payment made. A movable dwelling is a dwelling designed to be movable and which can be sited or removed from a place.

Cases VCAT can hear

VCAT can hear disputes between tenants and landlords.

Cases VCAT cannot hear

VCAT cannot hear disputes between tenants and tenants, or disputes between neighbours.

Notices you must attach to your application

When you make your application you must attach the correct notices or we will not be able to process your form.

Caravan park residents

Under some sections of the Act, if you are applying to the Residential Tenancies ListDefinitionA List is an area in VCAT that deals with cases of a similar nature. For example, the Residential Tenancies List decides cases between tenants and landlords, and the Civil Claims List handles disputes about buying or selling goods and services. as a caravan park resident you must attach the relevant prescribed document. Check the list below.

  • section 187, order declaring park rules unreasonable - attach copy of caravan park rules
  • section 209, compensation or compliance order - attach copy of breach of duty notice given under section 208
  • section 321B, challenge the validity of notice to vacate - attach copy of notice to vacate
  • section 191(1), non-urgent repairs - attach copy of the report from Consumer Affairs Victoria

If you are applying under section 416(1) bond you can attach your bond receipt but you are not required to do so.

Caravan park owners

Under some sections of the Act, if you are applying to the Residential Tenancies List as a caravan park owner or operator you must attach the relevant prescribed document.

Do I need a lawyer or professional representative?

You do not need to have legal or other professional representation to appear at VCAT. If you wish to be represented by a lawyer or a professional advocate, usually you must ask for VCAT's permission. Be aware that the regulatory body in most cases uses legal representation.

For renting cases, most landlords are represented by an estate agent. If you are a tenant and your landlord is represented by their real estate agent, you are automatically entitled to professional representation.

When your dispute is about regaining possession of a rental property, you do not need permission from VCAT to be legally represented.

Find free or low-cost legal services that may be able to assist you.

Need help with your application?

We can explain the application process and what the form is asking you for. Contact us to get support.

We cannot give you legal advice. This means we cannot tell you what to write in your application or recommend how to get the outcome you want.

Seek legal help if you are unsure about your options or need advice about your claim. The following services may be able to help you:

Access and privacy

VCAT hearings and files are usually public.

VCAT has limited authority to restrict who can access cases and files but, in certain circumstances, you can apply for confidentiality.

Legislation that applies to this type of case

Residential Tenancies Act 1997

Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal Act 1998