Seafood Safety Act 2003 (review)
This page provides general information and should not be considered as legal advice. Seek legal advice if you are unsure about your legal rights. Be aware that the law can change.
VCAT can review certain decisions made by the Victorian Meat Authority (re-named as PrimeSafe) under the Seafood Safety Act 2003
Cases we can hear
You may by able to apply to VCAT for a review if you are a person whose interests are affected by a decision of the Authority to:
- refuse to grant an exemption under section 10(1) of the Act in respect of a seafood safety licence
- refuse to issue a seafood safety licence
- issue or renew a seafood safety licence subject to conditions
- refuse to renew a seafood safety licence
- refuse to transfer a seafood safety licence
- cancel a seafood safety licence
- suspend a seafood safety licence
- amend, vary or delete a condition or insert a new condition in a seafood safety licence.
Legislation that gives VCAT the power to hear these applications
Seafood Safety Act 2003 – section 60.
If you have a decision document, use it to help you complete the VCAT application form and attach a copy of the document to your application.
You must make your application within 28 days after the later of the day on which
- the decision was made, or
- if you have requested a statement of reasons under the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal Act, the statement of reasons is given to you or you are informed that a statement of reasons will not be given.
You may be able to apply for an extension to this time limit.
What can VCAT order?
Unless the relevant Act of Parliament gives us different powers, VCAT can:
- affirm the original decision, in which case the original decision will stand
- vary the decision
- set aside the decision and substitute our own decision
- set aside the decision and remit (send back) the matter for reconsideration by the decision maker giving directions or recommendations
- invite the decision-maker to reconsider their decision at any time during the case.