Apply to review a decision

Under the Disability Act 2006 VCAT can review decisions made by the Secretary to the Department of Human Services.

We can confirm or modify the decision, or make a new decision.

Need help with your application?

VCAT cannot give you legal advice. Seek legal help if you are unsure about your legal options. The following services may be able to help you:

Do I need a lawyer or professional representative?

You do not need to have legal or other professional representation to appear at VCAT. If you wish to be represented by a lawyer or a professional advocate, usually you must ask for VCAT's permission.

Some people have an automatic right to representation, which means they do not have to ask for VCAT's permission for legal representation.

Find free or low-cost legal services that may be able to assist you.

Access and privacy

VCAT hearings and files are usually public.

VCAT has limited authority to restrict who can access cases and files but, in certain circumstances, you can apply for confidentiality. For more about applying for confidentiality.

Legislation that applies to this type of case

Cases VCAT can hear

VCAT can review a decision made by the Secretary to the Department of Human Services. The decision may be about:

  • whether or not someone has a disability
  • whether to include the use of restraint or seclusion in a person's behaviour support plan