Account by Administrator (ABA)

The ABA is a legal document that details the financial affairs of a represented person who is subject to a VCAT Administration Order.

If you are an administrator, you are legally required to lodge an ABA each year to ensure that the represented person's finances are being managed appropriately.

When to lodge an ABA for 2017-18

The due date for ABA and Annual Administration Fees has been extended to 31 October 2018.

If you do not lodge the ABA or pay the fee on time, VCAT may reassess the order, revoke it or appoint another administrator.

If you need more time, contact us before 31 October.

Is there a fee to lodge the ABA?

If the represented person's average fortnightly gross income from all sources is $844 or more, you must pay an administration fee each year to VCAT.

The Annual Administration Fee is $130.10.

The online form will automatically tell you whether you need to pay the fee before you submit.

If you represent a person together with another administrator, only one fee must be paid. Joint administrators must decide among themselves who will arrange for payment. 

The annual fee is paid from the represented person's funds.

How to pay

You can pay the fee through one of the following options:

  • Securepay – via credit card during completion of the online ABA
  • BPAY – via Internet or telephone banking
  • POST billpay – pay in person at any post outlet.

How to lodge an ABA for 2017-18

Once you receive your VCAT letter with your reference number in July, use our online form to submit an ABA.

If you have lodged an ABA in previous years, use the new reference number printed on the July 2018 letter.

You must lodge your ABA online unless we give you permission to lodge a paper-based ABA.

An application may take about 1-2 hours to complete.

Administrators must provide copies of supporting documents including bank statements, receipts, invoices, contracts and agreements. For a full listDefinitionA List is an area in VCAT that deals with cases of a similar nature. For example, the Residential Tenancies List decides cases between tenants and landlords, and the Civil Claims List handles disputes about buying or selling goods and services. of documents you may need to provide, see our ABA frequently asked questions.

Start a new application

Make a new application to begin your 2017-18 ABA.

Return to a saved application

If you started your application and saved your progress, you can return to it as many times as you need to complete your ABA.

Return to your saved application

Provide further information

After submitting your ABA, sometimes we contact you to provide further information. You can do this by using a different online form to upload files.

Upload additional supporting documents

Paper-based ABAs

If you want to complete the ABA without using a computer, contact us to request a paper-based form.

If you cannot pay the fee due to financial hardship

We may waive or reduce the Annual Administration Fee if we decide that the fee would cause undue hardship to the represented person.

If you are applying to have the fee waived or reduced you need to provide reasons as to why payment would cause undue hardship to the represented person and provide any supporting documentation.

You can make an application for a fee waiverDefinitionFees related to a case are dropped based on a decision made by VCAT's Principal Registrar or their delegate. using either the online form or paper-based form.

Lodging an ABA for the previous financial year

If you need to lodge an overdue 2016-17 ABA, contact our Customer Service team:

Need help with your application?

You may find answers in our ABA frequently asked questions.

If you have any questions about procedures you need to follow in your role as an administrator, tell us in writing:

We can explain the application process and what the form is asking you for. Contact us to get support.

General assistance

For all other enquiries, contact us.

Access and privacy

VCAT hearings and files are usually public.

VCAT has limited authority to restrict who can access cases and files but, in certain circumstances, you can apply for confidentiality.