Appoint a supportive guardian or supportive administrator

Some people with disability can make their own decisions but need support. For example, they may need someone to help them collect information, communicate and carry out the decisions they make.

You can apply to have VCAT appoint a supportive guardian or supportive administrator for an adult with disability who needs assistance.

A supportive administrator supports an adult with disability to make their own decisions about their financial and property affairs.

A supportive guardian helps an adult with disability to make their own decisions about their lifestyle, including health care, employment and living arrangements.

These supportive appointments are different to the roles of guardians and administrators, who make decisions for the people they represent.

Before you apply

You must decide who you think is most suitable for the role of supportive administrator or supportive guardian.

If you nominate someone other than yourself, discuss your nomination with them before you apply to VCAT. You must ensure the proposed supportive guardian or supportive administrator is willing and able to undertake the responsibilities of the role.

Find out more about the responsibilities of supportive guardians and supportive administrators.


There are no application or hearing fees.

How to apply

Apply online to save your progress and keep track of your application.

Alternatively, download our PDF form (505 kB).

Do I need a lawyer or professional representative?

You do not need to have legal or other professional representation to appear at VCAT. If you wish to be represented by a lawyer or a professional advocate, usually you must ask for VCAT's permission.

Find legal services that may be able to assist you.

Need help with your application?

We can explain the application process and what the form is asking you for. Contact us to get support.

We cannot give you legal advice. This means we cannot tell you what to write in your application or recommend how to get the outcome you want.

Seek legal help if you are unsure about your options or need advice about your situation.

Access and privacy

All information you give VCAT for your case is available to anyone who inspects the case file or attends the hearing, including media. They might get information like your name, contact details and personal information.

By law, with limited exceptions, VCAT must share information that you provide for your case with other parties. This includes your documents and evidence. But it is illegal to publish or broadcast information that could identify a party in a guardianship, powers of attorney or medical treatment case, unless VCAT makes an exception.

You can ask VCAT at the start of the case to keep your information confidential. VCAT may not agree to this request.

For more information, see our privacy policy.

Legislation that applies to this type of case

Guardianship and Administration Act 2019