Apply to review a decision by the Victorian Legal Services Board

If a Legal Services Board decision affects you, you can apply to VCAT for a review of the decision.

Some examples of what VCAT can review includes decisions to :

  • refuse, suspend, cancel, amend or refuse to amend a practising certificate
  • require an applicantDefinitionThe person or organisation applying to VCAT. for a practising certificate to undergo a health assessment by someone appointed by the Board
  • require a legal practitioner to pay the costs of an investigation of their trust accounts.

Before you apply

Make sure you have a copy of the Board's decision. It will tell you about your right to apply for a review and information about the time limits.

Applications to appeal or re-hear a decision related to disciplinary action

If applying for a rehearing of a VCAT order, where the original complaint was made or investigation started on or after 12 December 2005 you must apply to have the decision re-heard within 28 days of the date of the VCAT order made at the hearingDefinitionThe time and place at which VCAT hears the parties argue their case and makes a decision. .

If appealing a decision by VCAT where the original complaint was made or investigation started before 12 December 2005 you must lodge a notice of appeal within 21 days of receiving a copy of the order made by the single memberDefinitionA person who hears and decides cases at VCAT. Some members are specialists in particular areas of law. .

Disputes about legal costs

If you are a client or legal practitioner and you want us to hear your costs dispute under the Legal Profession Uniform Law or the Legal Profession Act 2004, you must apply within 60 days after receiving a written notice from the Legal Services Commissioner. The notice must state that the dispute has not been resolved by the Commissioner and state your right to make the application. If the 60 days time limit is about to expire you may be able to make the application by letter. Contact us if the 60 days time limit is about to expire and you want to apply.

See how long your VCAT case may take to resolve.

Do I need a lawyer or professional representative?

If you want to be represented by a lawyer or have some other professional representation at the final hearing tell the member at the directions hearingDefinitionA directions hearing is a hearing where a VCAT member decides how a case should be managed and how much time it will take. .

The VCAT member who conducts the final hearing grants or refuses permission for you to be represented.

Find legal services that may be able to assist you.

Need help with your application?

We can explain the application process and what the form is asking you for. Contact us to get support.

We cannot give you legal advice. This means we cannot tell you what to write in your application or recommend how to get the outcome you want.

Seek legal help if you are unsure about your options or need advice about your claim.

Access and privacy

VCAT hearings and files are usually public.

VCAT has limited authority to restrict who can access cases and files but, in certain circumstances, you can apply for confidentiality.