Neighbourhood disputes affecting service companies, company title corporations or unit owners

VCAT decides neighbourhood disputes about service companiesDefinitionCompanies that own and manage residual land (land for the common use of all units in a development) under a stratum title. or company title corporationsDefinitionCompanies that own land and any buildings in it and where residents own shares in that company. The ownership of shares gives the shareholder the right to exclusive occupation of their particular unit. Also known as share ownership schemes. . We hear these disputes under the Company Titles (Home Units) Act 2013.

A neighbourhood dispute may be about the use of residual landDefinitionLand or property for the common use of all the units, apartments or lots in a development. , parking on residual land, repair and maintenance of residual land, the external appearance of units, the conduct of shareholders and/or occupiers of units and their guests, noise and other nuisance.

Cases VCAT can hear

VCAT can hear a case under the Company Titles (Home Units) Act 2013 if you are a service company, a company title corporation, a shareholder or former shareholder, an occupier or former occupier of a unit, or a mortgagee of a unit, and you want to resolve a neighbourhood dispute.

Cases VCAT cannot hear

VCAT cannot hear fencing disputes between company title corporations, shareholders or former shareholders, occupiers or former occupiers of units and their neighbours.

Before you apply

If the dispute is a neighbourhood dispute as defined by the Company Titles (Home Units) Act 2013, try to follow any dispute resolution process contained in the company’s constitution before you apply to VCAT.

When applying, specify that you are making the application under the Company Titles (Home Units) Act 2013.

Time limits

You must apply within six years of the date on which the dispute arose. 

Do I need a lawyer or professional representative?

You do not need to have legal or other professional representation to appear at VCAT. If you wish to be represented by a lawyer or a professional advocate, usually you must ask for VCAT's permission. If you are represented by a lawyer, we will only communicate with them about your application.

Find legal services that may be able to assist you.

Need help with your application?

We can explain the application process and what the form is asking you for. Contact us to get support.

We cannot give you legal advice. This means we cannot tell you what to write in your application or recommend how to get the outcome you want.

Seek legal help if you are unsure about your options or need advice about your claim.

Access and privacy

VCAT hearings and files are usually public.

VCAT has limited authority to restrict who can access cases and files but, in certain circumstances, you can apply for confidentiality.