Recovering owners corporations fees from lot owners

Owners corporations can apply to VCAT to recover unpaid owners corporation fees from lot owners. These applications are made under the Owners Corporations Act 2006.

Cases VCAT can hear

VCAT can hear applications to recover unpaid owners corporation fees from lot owners.

An owners corporation can make a fee recovery application without the need for a special resolution.

Cases VCAT cannot hear

VCAT cannot hear cases for the recovery of owners corporation fees if a fee notice and a final fee notice have not been served in accordance with sections 31 and 32 of the Owners Corporation Act 2006.

Individuals representing the owners corporation

You can represent the owners corporation if you are the manager of the owners corporation. If there is no manager, another person can appear on behalf of the owners corporation. At the hearingDefinitionThe time and place at which VCAT hears the parties argue their case and makes a decision. , the VCAT memberDefinitionA person who hears and decides cases at VCAT. Some members are specialists in particular areas of law. may ask for written evidence that the owners corporation has given the representative authority to act on its behalf.

The respondentDefinitionThe party against whom orders or relief is sought by an applicant. is the lot ownerDefinitionA member of an owners corporation who owns a unit, apartment, flat or lot. who has not, or may not have, paid their fees.

Before you apply

Requirements for owners corporations

There are some steps an owners corporation needs to take before they can apply to recover fees.

The Owners Corporations Act 2006 states an owners corporation must:

  1. Set the fees properly. The Act provides details of how to set fees.
  2. Send the proper notices. The Act says that you need to send two notices to lot owners who have not paid fees. You need to create these notices using special forms. The only owners corporations who do not have to send these notices are those with two lots. The forms are available from Consumer Affairs Victoria (CAV)

For more information, check sections 23-32, section 162 and section 163 of the Act.

Follow the dispute resolution procedure first

If you are making an application about a breach of the Owners Corporations Act 2006, regulations or rules – you must follow the dispute resolution procedure set out in the owners corporations rules. If the owners corporation has not made any rules of its own, the procedure in the model rules applies.

Time limits

Time limits apply. Check specific time limits.

Do I need a lawyer or professional representative?

You do not need to have legal or other professional representation to appear at VCAT. If you wish to be represented by a lawyer or a professional advocate, usually you must ask for VCAT's permission. If you are represented by a lawyer, we will only communicate with them about your application.

Find legal services that may be able to assist you.

Need help with your application?

We can explain the application process and what the form is asking you for. Contact us to get support.

We cannot give you legal advice. This means we cannot tell you what to write in your application or recommend how to get the outcome you want.

Seek legal help if you are unsure about your options or need advice about your claim.

Access and privacy

VCAT hearings and files are usually public.

VCAT has limited authority to restrict who can access cases and files but, in certain circumstances, you can apply for confidentiality.

Legislation that applies to this type of case

Owners Corporations Act 2006 (Word - 157kB)