Make another type of planning and environment application

In addition to the more specific case management types referred to on this page, many other planning and environment enactments provide an opportunity to apply to VCAT, for example:

  • apply to review a requirement to give notice of a permit application under section 78(a) of the Planning and Environment Act 1987
  • apply to review a requirement to give more information in respect of a permit application under section 78(b) of the Planning and Environment Act 1987
  • apply to review decisions under the Catchment and Land Protection Act 1994 in relation to land management notices or land use conditions under section 48 of the Act 
  • apply to review decisions under the Heritage Act 2017 in respect of permits or an orders to carry out works under section 77 of the Act
  • apply to review the various decisions under the Aboriginal Heritage Act 2006 including a refusal to approve a cultural heritage management plan under section 116 of the Act
  • apply to review a requirement for making a new service connection under section 145 of the Water Act 1989.

Time limit

In many of these applications, there will be time limits within which you must make your application. The decision-making authority should be able to give you advice about applying to VCAT and any other associated time limits.

Otherwise you will need to refer to the specific Act or its regulations to discover if there is a time limit. Read more about time limits for lodging applications in the Planning and Environment List.

Extension of time to apply

Under section 126 of the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal Act 1998, VCAT can extend the time to apply. We can extend the time by which you must make an application to VCAT – if it is reasonable to do so and if extending time would not cause any prejudice or detriment to a partyDefinitionA person or organisation directly involved in a VCAT case, including a person or organisation that has brought the case before VCAT or who is defending claims made against them. or potential party that cannot be remedied by an appropriate order for costs or damages.

Complete and submit the Application for an extension of time form to apply for more time to lodge an application.

Do I need a lawyer or professional representative?

You may have a legal or other professional representation to appear at VCAT (such as a lawyer, town planner, relative, or some other person). In Planning and Environment cases you do not need to have VCAT's permission to be represented.

Find legal services that may be able to assist you.

Need help with your application?

We can explain the application process and what the form is asking you for. Contact us to get support.

We cannot give you legal advice. This means we cannot tell you what to write in your application or recommend how to get the outcome you want.

Seek legal help if you are unsure about your options or need advice about your claim.

Access and privacy

VCAT hearings and files are usually public.

VCAT has limited authority to restrict who can access cases and files but, in certain circumstances, you can apply for confidentiality.

Legislation that applies to this type of case