Medical enduring power of attorney

The Guardianship List A List is an area in VCAT that deals with cases of a similar nature. For example, the Residential Tenancies List decides cases between tenants and landlords, and the Civil Claims List handles disputes about buying or selling goods and services. at VCAT hears and decides applications related to medical enduring powers of attorney.

A medical enduring power of attorney is a legal document where one person gives another person the power to make decisions about medical treatment on their behalf. The person who has been given the power to make medical decisions on behalf of someone else is called the medical agent.

Sometimes people refer to medical enduring power of attorney as enduring power of attorney (medical treatment). They are the same thing.

Health service providers

A doctor or health service must acknowledge a medical agent’s authority. If a doctor or health service asks someone other than the appointed medical agent to make decisions for a patient they may not have what the law calls 'legitimate consent'. If the doctor or health service proceeds with the treatment without legitimate consent they may be charged with medical trespass.

The Office of the Public Advocate provides advice if you find yourself in this type of situation.

Before you apply

A doctor or health service is required to make reasonable enquiries to establish if their patient has a medical enduring power of attorney. There is no register of people who have made an appointment of an enduring power of attorney. Refer to the Office of the Public Advocate for more information about consent to medical and dental treatment for patients who have lost decision making capacity.

You can apply to VCAT if you are the donor, the agent or alternate agent under the enduring power of attorney, or someone who has a special interest in the affairs of the donor. Complete the application form, lodge it with VCAT and send a copy of your application to other people you have named in your application. There is no application fee.

Need help with your application?

VCAT cannot give you legal advice. Seek legal help if you are unsure about your legal options. The following services may be able to help you:

Do I need a lawyer or professional representative?

You do not need to have legal or other professional representation to appear at VCAT. If you wish to be represented by a lawyer or a professional advocate, usually you must ask for VCAT's permission.

Find free or low-cost legal services that may be able to assist you.

Decide who pays the costs of representation

If you are an agent who is a party A person or organisation directly involved in a VCAT case, including a person or organisation that has brought the case before VCAT or who is defending claims made against them. to a power of attorney hearing The time and place at which VCAT hears the parties argue their case and makes a decision. at VCAT you may want to be represented by a lawyer. You must decide whether this is a cost you should pay personally or whether it is a reasonable expense that can be paid from the finances of the person who appointed you.

Access and privacy

VCAT hearings and files are usually public.

VCAT has limited authority to restrict who can access cases and files but, in certain circumstances, you can apply for confidentiality. For more about applying for confidentiality.

Cases VCAT can hear

If you have a special interest in the affairs of someone and you are concerned about the actions of their medical agent, you can apply to VCAT to consider and decide about:

  • whether proposed medical or dental treatment is in the best interests of the patient
  • whether to suspend or revoke (cancel) a medical enduring power of attorney, for example if VCAT determined that a decision to refuse medical treatment is not in the best interests of the patient. In such cases, VCAT may also consider an application for the appointment of a guardian A guardian makes personal lifestyle decisions on behalf of a person with a disability, including decisions about their living arrangements, work arrangements, medical treatment and access to people and services. to make the decision about the medical treatment.