Application by a disability service provider or resident

If you are a disability service provider or a resident of a community residential unit run by a disability service provider, you can apply to VCAT to:

  • hear disputes under sections 70 and 72 of the Disability Act 2006 about residential charges paid by a resident in a community residential unit run by a disability service provider
  • review notices under sections 82, 84 and 85 of the Disability Act 2006 and section 76 of the Disability Act 2006 to vacate given to residents of community residential units by service providers
  • hear disputes under section 74(1) of the Disability Act 2006 about notices of temporary relocation
  • make orders for possession under sections 82 and 84 of the Disability Act 2006 (requiring residents to vacate a community residential unit) and other orders dealing with non-payment of rent and other problems.

Do I need a lawyer or professional representative?

You do not need to have legal or other professional representation to appear at VCAT. If you wish to be represented by a lawyer or a professional advocate, usually you must ask for VCAT's permission. Be aware that the regulatory body in most cases uses legal representation.

For renting cases, most landlords are represented by an estate agent. If you are a tenant and your landlord is represented by their real estate agent, you are automatically entitled to professional representation.

When your dispute is about regaining possession of a rental property, you do not need permission from VCAT to be legally represented.

Find legal services that may be able to assist you.

Need help with your application?

We can explain the application process and what the form is asking you for. Contact us to get support.

We cannot give you legal advice. This means we cannot tell you what to write in your application or recommend how to get the outcome you want.

Seek legal help if you are unsure about your options or need advice about your claim.

Access and privacy

VCAT hearings and files are usually public.

VCAT has limited authority to restrict who can access cases and files but, in certain circumstances, you can apply for confidentiality.

Legislation that applies to this type of case

Disability Act 2006

Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal Act 1998