​Application by a rooming house resident or rooming house owner

If you are a rooming house resident or rooming house owner or operator you can apply to VCAT to decide a dispute, including a dispute related to a residential tenancy Definition The agreement between a landlord and a tenant for the rental of a property. database.

A rooming house owner is any person who conducts the business of operating a rooming house.

A rooming house resident is someone who lives in the room as their only or main residence.

A building is a rooming house if it is set up so that four or more people may occupy one or more rooms and share facilities.

Notices you must attach to your application

Under some sections of the Residential Tenancies Act 1997, if you are applying as a rooming house owner, operator or resident you must attach the relevant prescribed document.

Rooming house residents

Attach the relevant document to your application if you are applying under one of these sections of the Act.

  • Section 103, order declaring rent excessive – attach a copy of the report from Consumer Affairs Victoria
  • Section 132(1), non-urgent repairs – attach a copy of the report from Consumer Affairs Victoria
  • Section209, compensation or compliance order – attach a copy of breach of duty notice given under section 208 of the Act
  • Section 321B, challenge validity of notice – attach a copy of a Notice to Vacate.

To find out more read What section numbers in the Residential Tenancies Act mean.

Rooming house owners

Find out the relevant Section Number of the Residential Tenancies Act 1997 that applies to your claim type. You will need to quote it in claim details of your application. You may also have to provide documents to support your claim. To find out more read What section numbers in the Residential Tenancies Act mean.

How to apply

There are two ways that you can apply to VCAT. You should check whether you need to pay an application fee.

Online application form

Using this online form allows you to save your application as a draft, pay application fees and upload any supporting documents. Create a login and submit.

Paper-based form

You can choose to print a form and send it to us by post. Application fee payments will need to be made by post or in person.

Need help with your application?

VCAT cannot give you legal advice. Seek legal help if you are unsure about your legal options. The following services may be able to help you:

Do I need a lawyer or professional representative?

You do not need to have legal or other professional representation to appear at VCAT.

For renting cases, most landlords are represented by an estate agent. If you are a tenant and your landlord is represented by their real estate agent, you are automatically entitled to professional representation.

When your dispute is about regaining possession of a rental property, you do not need permission from VCAT to be legally represented.

Find free or low-cost legal services that may be able to assist you.

Access and privacy

VCAT hearings and files are usually public.

VCAT has limited authority to restrict who can access cases and files but, in certain circumstances, you can apply for confidentiality. For more about applying for confidentiality.

Legislation that applies to this type of case

Cases VCAT can hear

VCAT can hear disputes between rooming house owners and rooming house residents.

Cases VCAT cannot hear

VCAT cannot hear disputes between tenants and tenants, or disputes between neighbours.