Application to refer a matter to VCAT

Under some Acts of Parliament, VCAT can accept referrals from regulatory bodies, boards or panels to hear and decide cases about the professional conduct of individuals or from government agencies to hear and determine objections to certain decisions.

Legislation that applies to this case type

Who can refer a matter to VCAT?

Only a representative of a regulatory body, panel, board or government agency can refer a matter to VCAT. They may refer a matter on their own initiative or at the request of the person who is the subject of the matter. If you want a matter referred to VCAT, you must make your request directly to the relevant regulatory body, board or panel. If the referral is about your conduct or your matter you will be a partyDefinitionA person or organisation directly involved in a VCAT case, including a person or organisation that has brought the case before VCAT or who is defending claims made against them. respondentDefinitionThe party against whom orders or relief is sought by an applicant. - to the application.

Do I need a lawyer or professional representative?

You do not need to have legal or other professional representation to appear at VCAT. If you wish to be represented by a lawyer or a professional advocate, usually you must ask for VCAT's permission. Be aware that the regulatory body in most cases uses legal representation.

Find legal services that may be able to assist you.

Need help with your application?

We can explain the application process and what the form is asking you for. Contact us to get support.

We cannot give you legal advice. This means we cannot tell you what to write in your application or recommend how to get the outcome you want.

Seek legal help if you are unsure about your options or need advice about your claim.

Access and privacy

VCAT hearings and files are usually public.

VCAT has limited authority to restrict who can access cases and files but, in certain circumstances, you can apply for confidentiality.