Application to request VCAT conducts an inquiry

Under some Acts of Parliament, VCAT can accept applications from regulatory bodies or other authorities to conduct inquiries into the conduct of licensed individuals or organisations.

Legislation that applies to this case type

Who can apply for an inquiry at VCAT?

Only a regulatory body can apply to VCAT to hold an inquiry. If the inquiry is about your conduct, you will be a party Definition A person or organisation directly involved in a VCAT case, including a person or organisation that has brought the case before VCAT or who is defending claims made against them. – the respondent Definition The party against whom orders or relief is sought by an applicant. – in the case.

Do I need a lawyer or professional representative?

You do not need to have legal or other professional representation to appear at VCAT. If you wish to be represented by a lawyer or a professional advocate, usually you must ask for VCAT's permission. Be aware that the regulatory body in most cases uses legal representation.

Find free or low-cost legal services that may be able to assist you.

Need help with your application?

VCAT cannot give you legal advice. Seek legal help if you are unsure about your legal options. The following services may be able to help you:

Access and privacy

VCAT hearings and files are usually public.

VCAT has limited authority to restrict who can access cases and files but, in certain circumstances, you can apply for confidentiality. For more about applying for confidentiality.