Application to disqualify someone who is not a lawyer

The Legal Services Board can apply to VCAT to disqualify someone who has been convicted of a serious offence, is not a fit and proper person or is otherwise unsuitable to work in a legal office.

'Fit and proper' is a legal term that incorporates such things as honesty, knowledge, ability and character.

A disqualified person must not be employed by any legal practitioner unless the Victorian Legal Services Board gives its approval.

Apply to have order revoked

Someone who has been disqualified indefinitely has the right to apply to VCAT to have the order revoked. Use the Application for order form.


We can explain the application process and what the form is asking you for. Contact us to get support.

We cannot give you legal advice. This means we cannot tell you what to write in your application or recommend how to get the outcome you want.

Seek legal help if you are unsure about your options or need advice about your claim.

Do I need a lawyer or professional representative?

If you want to be represented by a lawyer or have some other professional representation at the final hearing tell the member at the directions hearing.

The VCAT member who conducts the final hearing grants or refuses permission for you to be represented.

Find legal services that may be able to assist you.

Access and privacy

VCAT hearings and files are usually public.

VCAT has limited authority to restrict who can access cases and files but, in certain circumstances, you can apply for confidentiality.