Apply to stop a disciplinary action from being published

If you have had disciplinary action brought against you as a result of a VCAT order you can apply to VCAT to have the action kept off the Register of Disciplinary Action or published anywhere else.

The Victorian Legal Services Commissioner or the Legal Services Board can also apply to keep disciplinary action from being published.

You can only make these applications under the Legal Profession Act 2004 – not the Legal Profession Uniform Law (Victoria).


We can explain the application process and what the form is asking you for. Contact us to get support.

We cannot give you legal advice. This means we cannot tell you what to write in your application or recommend how to get the outcome you want.

Seek legal help if you are unsure about your options or need advice about your claim.

Do I need a lawyer or professional representative?

If you want to be represented by a lawyer or have some other professional representation at the final hearing tell the member at the directions hearing.

The VCAT member who conducts the final hearing grants or refuses permission for you to be represented.

Find legal services that may be able to assist you.

Access and privacy

VCAT hearings and files are usually public.

VCAT has limited authority to restrict who can access cases and files but, in certain circumstances, you can apply for confidentiality.

Legislation that applies to this type of case

Organisations that may be able to help you

Below are organisations that may be able to help with your case.

Victorian Legal Services Board and Commissioner

An independent authority that regulates the legal profession in Victoria.

Law Institute of Victoria (LIV)

Advice on the Victorian legal system and how to find a lawyer.