Independent body to manage transparent complaints process

Posted on 03 Jul 2017

From 3 July, if you have a complaint about the conduct of a VCAT memberDefinitionA person who hears and decides cases at VCAT. Some members are specialists in particular areas of law. , you can go to an independent body, the Judicial Commission of Victoria.

The Judicial Commission of Victoria investigates the conduct or capacity of current judicial officers and VCAT members in a transparent and accessible complaint process to ensure public confidence in Victoria’s justice system.

Any member of the public or a professional representative can make a complaint to the Commission through their website.

The types of complaints that can be investigated include inappropriate behaviour in a hearingDefinitionThe time and place at which VCAT hears the parties argue their case and makes a decision. , excessive delays in handing down a decision or matters which may affect the performance of the officer’s function.

Once the Commission receives a complaint, it must take one of three actions:

  • Dismiss the complaint.
  • Refer the complaint to the relevant head of jurisdictionDefinitionThe authority of a court or tribunal to hear matters brought before it. .
  • For serious allegations, refer the complaint to an investigating panel.

The Commission does not investigate complaints about VCAT processes, services, staff or former members. It does not review VCAT decisions or orders.

For more information about complaints VCAT can review, see Feedback and complaints.