Posted on 08 May 2018
From 9 May 2018, new laws expand VCAT’s role in reviewing decisions about firearm licences and prohibitions.
Decisions VCAT can make
Previously, VCAT could only review certain decisions of the Firearms Appeals Committee.
VCAT can now also review decisions by the Chief Commissioner of Police:
- to make a Firearm Prohibition Order. VCAT can also review these orders at their halfway mark.
- not to issue or renew a licence due to the person’s known criminal activities
- to cancel a licence due to the person’s known criminal activities.
- Apply to VCAT for review of a firearms decision
- Firearms licences (Victoria Police website)
- Call 1300 01 8228 and choose ‘Review and Regulation’ from the menu.