Go to all resources

Application form (General application) - Residential Tenancies List

You can apply to VCAT to hear a residential tenancyDefinitionThe agreement between a landlord and a tenant for the rental of a property. dispute if you are a landlord or tenant; caravan park owner or caravan park resident; a rooming house owner or resident.

Before you apply

Find out the relevant Section Number of the Residential Tenancies Act 1997 that applies to your claim type. You will need to quote it as part of your claim details in the application form. You may also have to provide documents to support your claim.

There are time limits set out in the Residential Tenancies Act 1997 for some claims, so you should apply as soon as possible. If you apply outside of the time limit, you need to request a time extension as part of your application by quoting section 126 of the Victorian Civil and Administrative Act 1998. VCAT will not always grant your request for a time extension.

You will need to check if you must pay an application fee.

How to apply

You can apply using the online form or PDF form below.

If you use the PDF form, print it and send the completed form to us by post. For this form you will need to pay any application fees by post or in person.