Go to all resources

Renting and intervention orders - changing your tenancy agreement

If you are affected by an intervention orderDefinitionA court order that prohibits a person from harming or harassing someone. , you can apply to us to change a residential tenancyDefinitionThe agreement between a landlord and a tenant for the rental of a property. agreement or decide who pays for property damage.

This guide explains options for people protected under an intervention order and people excluded from a rental property by an intervention order.

Protected person

If you are a protected person under an intervention order, you can apply to VCAT to:

  • get out of your tenancy agreement earlier (reduce the term of your tenancy)
  • stay in the property but change the tenancy to your name by creating a new agreement
  • decide which tenant must pay for property damage.

There is no cost for this application.

Excluded tenant

If you are excluded from a rental property by an intervention order, you can apply to get out of the fixed term tenancy earlier (reduce the term of your tenancy). If this happens, the tenancy agreement comes to an end. You may have to pay an application fee.

Contact us on 1300 01 8228 if you have any questions.

Before you apply to VCAT

You may want to seek legal advice and talk to your landlord or real estate agent about changing your tenancy agreement. If your landlord agrees, you may not need to come to VCAT. If your landlord does not agree, you may need to come to a VCAT hearingDefinitionThe time and place at which VCAT hears the parties argue their case and makes a decision. .

If you want to get out of your tenancy agreement early, think about what date you want the lease to end or when you intend to leave the property.

Applying to VCAT

Complete an Application by a protected person or an Application by an excluded tenant.

For printed forms, call us on 1300 01 8228.

Submit your application to VCAT and send a copy to the landlord and any other tenant named on the tenancy agreement.

At a hearing

Be prepared and bring any documents that support your case.

VCAT is a tribunal and not as formal as a court. You can speak for yourself, or find a lawyer or another representative to speak for you.

In some circumstances, you can ask to attend by telephone or use a remote witness facility. Talk to our support worker about this.

Arrive at least 15 minutes before the hearing and check in with the VCAT customer service staff.

Each partyDefinitionA person or organisation directly involved in a VCAT case, including a person or organisation that has brought the case before VCAT or who is defending claims made against them. will be given an opportunity to speak during the hearing.

Find out more about what happens at a hearing.

Other services

Free legal information and advice

Family violence support

VCAT support worker

If you are a protected person under a family violence or a personal safety intervention order, our family violence support worker can:

  • help you to understand the VCAT process
  • help you complete an application form
  • connect you to other services for ongoing support
  • in some circumstances support you during the VCAT hearing and provide remote witness facilities.

To contact the support worker, call 03 9628 9856.

VCAT general enquiries

9 am to 4.30 pm
Monday to Friday
1300 01 8228

For telephone interpreting services, contact Translating and Interpreting Service on 13 14 50.

Also see: Renting a home.

  • Title Renting and intervention orders - changing your tenancy agreement
  • View or download
  • List
    Residential Tenancies List
  • Language
  • Last modified
    31 August 2017