VCAT practice note - PNVCAT3 - Fair Hearing Obligation
- The Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal was established under the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal Act 1998 and began operations on 1 July 1998. Since its inception in 1998, the Tribunal's purpose has been to provide Victorians with a fair, accessible, efficient and independent tribunal delivering high quality dispute resolution.
- The obligation to provide a fair hearing is an important component of the Tribunal’s function. The fair hearing obligation applies across the Tribunal, and applies to the practice of the Tribunal in exercising all of its functions under the enabling enactments set out in Schedule 1 of the Rules.
- The purpose of this practice note is not to exhaustively state the law concerning the fair hearing obligation, but rather to provide some procedural guidance as to how the obligation may be discharged.
- In any proceeding the Tribunal may at its discretion vary the operation of a practice note by direction or order.
- This practice note has been issued by the Rules Committee pursuant to section 158 of the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal Act 1998.
- Title VCAT practice note - PNVCAT3 - Fair Hearing Obligation
ListBuilding and Property ListGuardianship ListLegal Practice ListCivil Claims ListHuman Rights ListPlanning and Environment ListOwners Corporations ListResidential Tenancies ListReview and Regulation List
Last modified1 January 2013