Changing or withdrawing your application

To change or withdraw your application, you must let us know in writing.

Changing your application

If you want to change your application, for example to add more information or change the amount you are claiming, you will need to write to VCAT and quote the reference number we give you when you apply. Send any documents that support why you want to make the change.

You may be allowed to change your application before the final hearingDefinitionThe time and place at which VCAT hears the parties argue their case and makes a decision. . If we accept the request we send you an order that confirms the change. We may schedule a directions hearingDefinitionA directions hearing is a hearing where a VCAT member decides how a case should be managed and how much time it will take. to consider whether to allow the change you requested.

If your case involves another partyDefinitionA person or organisation directly involved in a VCAT case, including a person or organisation that has brought the case before VCAT or who is defending claims made against them. , they may tell us why we should not allow the change. If this happens we may tell you to come to a directions hearing to discuss the change.

Changing contact details

You must provide your current contact details on the application form. If your contact details change, you must notify us in writing immediately. 'In writing' can be by post or email.

Withdrawing your application

You can cancel your VCAT application at any time before we make a final decision in the case.

This is called withdrawing your application. It is not the same as reaching an agreement with the other parties and settling before a hearing.

For most case types, if you decide to withdraw your case because you have changed your mind, you must ask our permission to withdraw your application. This is called seeking leaveDefinitionAsk for permission. to withdraw.

To withdraw your application, you must advise VCAT and the other parties as early as possible to minimise further costs and inconvenience. Use the application for leave to withdraw form.

You may have to pay legal costs

If you withdraw your application or counterclaimDefinitionIf you believe you have a claim against the applicant, you can lodge your own claim with VCAT. This is called a counterclaim. Most case types allow a counterclaim but for some case types it is not possible. without agreement from all parties represented by lawyers, those parties may ask VCAT to order you to pay their legal costs.