Communicating with VCAT and other parties

If you need to talk to VCAT about a case, contact us. Do not contact a VCAT memberDefinitionA person who hears and decides cases at VCAT. Some members are specialists in particular areas of law. directly about any aspect of a case.

How to address letters, faxes and emails

When you write to VCAT by letter, fax or email, address your correspondence to the Principal RegistrarDefinitionThe officer in charge of the administrative section of VCAT, which is known as the registry. .

Quote your VCAT reference number

Whenever you write to us, quote your VCAT reference number. This helps us keep all your correspondence and documents together. We include your reference number on any correspondence about the case.

Include hearing dates or other relevant dates

If we have scheduled a hearingDefinitionThe time and place at which VCAT hears the parties argue their case and makes a decision. , mediationDefinitionMediations are confidential meetings where parties discuss ways to resolve their dispute, with the help of an impartial mediator. or compulsory conferenceDefinitionCompulsory conferences are confidential meetings where parties discuss ways to resolve their dispute with the help of a VCAT member. , include the date in your communication.

When to send originals

If you write to us by email or fax you do not need to send us a printed copy as well.

Affidavits, statutory declarations and supporting documents

At the start of a hearing, you must bring the original of any sworn affidavits or statutory declarations, and any accompanying information. Bring the originals even if you have already emailed or faxed them through.

Photographs, data and other detailed documents

Witness statements and documents that contain photographs, data, scale plans and information in colour may be difficult to read in an email or fax format. If you have emailed or faxed this kind of detailed information, send us - and the other parties - the originals or good quality colour copies as soon as possible after you send the email or fax.

Send copies to related parties

When you write to VCAT about a case, you must send a copy of the correspondence to the other parties and tell us you have done so.

If you disadvantage a partyDefinitionA person or organisation directly involved in a VCAT case, including a person or organisation that has brought the case before VCAT or who is defending claims made against them. by not giving them a copy of correspondence, VCAT may make an order or award costs against you.

You can send copies of your application and other correspondences to parties by:

  • email or other electronic address – if you have used this address to communicate to the party previously or it was provided to VCAT by the party
  • by post
  • in person.

How to tell us you have included other parties

You can tell us you have sent copies to other parties by including the other parties in the CC field on an email, or note them as a CC on a letter or fax.

Tell us if you change your address

If you move or your contact details change while you have an active case at VCAT, you must tell us and all other parties in writing. This includes any changes to your mailing address, phone number, fax number or email address.

If your case is about guardianship, power of attorney, medical treatment or an advance care directiveDefinitionA document that sets out a person’s binding instructions or preferences and values about medical treatment. The directive is referred to when the person does not have the capacity to make decisions about their medical treatment. , you may alternatively tell us about changes to your contact details by phone. Call 1300 01 8228.

Communicating with parties represented by a lawyer

If a party has a lawyer acting on their behalf in a VCAT case, all communication with that party should be through their lawyer.

The lawyer must tell VCAT and other parties in writing:

  • when they start acting on behalf of a party
  • if they stop acting on behalf of a party and the last known address and other contact details for the party they were representing
  • their contact details including their address for sending documents
  • updates to their contact details if they change during the time they are representing the party.