Settle before a hearing

If you and the other parties come to agreement before VCAT makes a final decision, this is called settlement.

You can even ask us for help to settle at the beginning of the hearing.

Tell VCAT in writing that you have settled the case, as soon as possible before a scheduled hearing, mediation or compulsory conference.

Settlement is not the same as withdrawing an application.

Confirming a settlement

We review each settlement agreement to ensure it is acceptable and lawful. If so, we confirm the agreement by issuing a consent order. This is called giving effect to the settlement.

Any party to a proceeding may request a consent order.

Every party in the case must tell VCAT in writing that they agree to the consent order.

We can make a consent order without a hearing.