Feedback and complaints

At VCAT we aim to provide fair and efficient justice. If you have had a positive experience with us, please contact us and let us know. We also welcome suggestions for improvements to our services.

VCAT is established by an Act of Parliament and is given jurisdiction by enabling enactments. We can only do what the law authorises us to do.

Constructive feedback

At VCAT we aim to provide fair and efficient justice. If you have had a positive experience with us, please let us know.

Email us with your suggestions for improvements of our services.


You can lodge a complaint to VCAT about:

  • the conduct or quality of the service you have received from VCAT staff or tribunal members
  • VCAT's processes or procedures
  • our services.

We cannot respond to complaints about:

  • a decision or order made by VCAT
  • errors or mistakes in decisions, or other legal grounds
  • matters that are outside VCAT's responsibilities, such as government policy, legislation or legal representation.

We also cannot respond to requests to remove a member from hearing a case.

Except for the right to appeal to the Supreme Court of Victoria, VCAT decisions are final and binding on the parties involved in the case.

If you wish to make a complaint about any matter that we can respond to, complete the complaint form and send it to us by mail or email with any supporting documents.

Abusive or offensive complaints will not be investigated or responded to. We will refer them directly to Victoria Police for investigation.

Making a complaint to the Judicial Commission of Victoria

You can make a complaint about the conduct and capacity of VCAT members to the Judicial Commission of Victoria The Judicial Commission is a new, independent body established to investigate complaints about judicial officers and VCAT members.

Any member of the public or a professional representative can make a complaint to the Commission by completing an online complaint form available from the Commission's website.

For example, complaints about inappropriate language in a hearing, or excessive delays in making a decision. Commission staff are available to provide advice to people making a complaint.

Language support and other services

If required, VCAT can refer you to interpreter services and other service providers who may assist you.

Acknowledgement and response

We acknowledge written complaints within one week of receiving them.

We respond to written complaints as soon as possible.

We aim to provide a final reply within six weeks. Sometimes a final reply takes longer than six weeks, for example if the complaint is complex or we need to retrieve files from archives or do other research. In these cases, we keep you informed of progress.

Confidentiality and data collection

Complaints and information about them are confidential. We receive and manage complaints in accordance with the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014.

If your complaint is about a person, they may be invited to give a response to the complaint. This would usually mean that they can see the text of your complaint.

We keep a log of complaints to help us monitor progress and performance, and to identify trends.

Complaints about a proceeding or a decision

We cannot address complaints about VCAT decisions or the way VCAT proceedings were conducted.

If you are a party in a proceeding and you believe that a decision is wrong on a question of law or if you believe the proceedings were not fair you may be able to appeal to the Supreme Court of Victoria.

This appeal process is enabled by section 148 of the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal Act 1998.

The Supreme Court website has a self-help information pack on how to seek leave to appeal VCAT decisions There are strict time limits for appealing in this way.

Consider legal advice before appealing

Consider seeking legal advice about whether you can appeal the decision in your case.

Appealing without representation

If you are not represented by a lawyer and you wish to commence the appeal process on your own behalf, the Self Represented Litigant Coordinator at the Supreme Court can provide procedural guidance and assistance.

Contact the Self Represented Litigant Coordinator by phone on 03 9603 9240.

More about this complaint policy

For more information, read our complaint policy.

Feedback about our complaints policy

The VCAT service commitment is reviewed yearly. Your feedback contributes to the review.

Our complaints policy is reviewed yearly. We welcome feedback and suggestions for improvement. Email us on