Before you apply – Planning disputes
Disputes about decisions made on the use, development and subdivision of land, including planning permits, objections to planning permits and planning schemes.
Find out if you're in the right place
What we can help with
- Review a planning permit decision made by a responsible authority, including a failure to make a decision
- To cancel or amend a permit
- Enforce a planning scheme, a planning permit or a 173 agreement
- A refusal or failure to extend time for a permit
- Other planning disputes including disputes under the Gambling Regulation Act 2003, Local Government Act 1989, Subdivision Act 1998 or Heritage Act 2017
What’s a responsible authority?The organisation that manages and enforces the planning laws for an area – usually the local council. It also decides whether a planning permit application is approved or refused.
What’s a planning scheme?
A statutory document that sets out the policies, rules and guidelines for the use and development of land.
Each council has a separate planning scheme for its area.
What’s a 173 agreement?
An agreement between a responsible authority – usually a council – and a landowner that places restrictions on how the land can be used or developed.
The agreement is binding and is usually registered on the land title.
What’s a declaration?A formal and binding statement that determines a fact or legal issue.
For example, we can make a declaration about what a planning scheme provision or permit condition means.
What we can't help with
- If you have been refused a building permit, contact your local council
- Fencing or tree disputes with neighbours. Contact Dispute settlement centre of Victoria
- Complaints about your local council’s conduct. Contact the Victorian Ombudsman
- Plans for developments. Contact your local council
- Some cases where one party lives in another state or is a Commonwealth government organisation
- Cases heard under federal law instead of Victorian law.
Can’t see what you’re looking for?
- Disputes about land valuation – see Land valuation
- Disputes about environment and resources, including water – see Environment and resources
- Disputes relating to the Environment Protection Act 1970 – see Environment and resources
- Disputes about building permits – see Building and construction
- Commercial or domestic building disputes – see Building and construction
- Owners corporation disputes – see Owners corporations