VCAT home

What VCAT does

Legal and professional representation

Organisations that may help

Legal help and advice services

Our fair hearing obligation

Residential tenancy cases

Before you apply

Common residential tenancy issues and section numbers

When to send notices

After you apply

Respond to an application

Join a VCAT case

How to access documents in a residential tenancy case

Goods and services disputes

Before you apply

After you apply

Respond to an application

Join a VCAT case

Guardians and administrators

Before you apply

Other things we can help with – Guardians and administrators



Supportive guardians and administrators

After you apply

Account by Administrators (ABA)

Types of guardianship and administration orders

Respond to an application

Join a VCAT case

When there's a VCAT application about you

How we make decisions

Access to documents in a case about guardians and administrators

Planning disputes

Before you apply

After you apply

Respond to an application

Get involved in a VCAT case

Major cases

Short cases

Amended plans

Owners corporations disputes

Before you apply

After you apply

Respond to an application

Join a VCAT case

Building and construction disputes

Before you apply

After you apply

Respond to an application

Join a VCAT case

Retail and commercial leases

Review and regulation

Application for review of a decision

Application to refer a matter to VCAT

Application to request VCAT conducts an inquiry

Application to VCAT to make an original jurisdiction decision

Co-owned land and goods

Unreasonable flow of water between properties

Powers of attorney

Before you apply

After you apply

Respond to an application

Join a VCAT case

Medical Treatment and Advance Care Directives

Seek advice about medical treatment

Challenge a medical treatment decision

Review an advance care directive

Challenge a decision about a medical research procedure

Voluntary assisted dying cases

Mental health

Disability Act

Apply for an order under the Disability Act

Review a decision by the Secretary to the Department of Health and Human Services

Equal Opportunity cases

Resolve a dispute about unlawful discrimination, sexual harassment, victimisation or vilification

Apply for an exemption

Apply to revoke an exemption

Apply about a gender equality matter

Land valuation

Review of a decision on valuation of land

Compensation on acquisition of an interest in land

Review of differential rating

Environment and resources

Applications about natural resources

Applications about protecting the environment

Applications for a declaration under environment and resources enactments

Apply for an enforcement order under environment and resources enactments

Make another type of environment and resources application

Traditional owners and Aboriginal heritage

Apply for an enforcement order under the Traditional Owner Settlement Act 2010

Cultural heritage management disputes

Compensation for native title

Privacy and health records

Review of a decision by the Patient Review Panel

Review a public health order made by the Chief Medical Officer

Health records complaints

Information privacy complaints

Legal practice

Dispute legal costs or seek compensation

Review a decision of the Victorian Legal Services Commissioner

Review a decision of the Victorian Legal Services Board

Disciplinary charges against a legal practitioner

Disqualify someone who is not a lawyer

Revoke a disqualification order

How to respond to a VCAT case

Apply to join someone as a party

The VCAT process

When VCAT starts a case

Hearings 'on the papers'

When VCAT starts a case – Planning disputes

When VCAT starts a case – Land valuation

How to communicate with VCAT and other parties

End a case by dismissal or strikeout

Settle before the hearing

Consent orders

Consent orders – Planning disputes

Mediations and compulsory conferences


Compulsory conferences

Residential tenancy mediations by the Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria

Fast track mediation and hearings - Goods and services

Types of hearings


Urgent hearings

Directions hearings

Practice day hearings

Preliminary hearings

Prepare to come to VCAT

Prepare for the hearing

Prepare your submission for the hearing – Planning disputes

Apply for confidentiality

Prepare evidence

Witnesses and witness statements

Summons a witness

Expert reports

On hearing day

On hearing day – Guardians and administrators

Photography, recording, mobile phones and electronic devices

What to expect after the hearing

When things change

If you can't come to VCAT

Change your hearing date (adjournment)

Change or withdraw your application

Withdraw your application – Planning disputes

Privacy and access to information at VCAT

Privacy at VCAT

View a VCAT file

Recordings and transcripts of VCAT hearings

Apply for confidentiality


Decisions and orders

Enforce a VCAT order

Reviews and rehearings

Appeal a decision

High profile decisions

Fix a mistake in a VCAT order

Decisions in planning disputes

Upcoming hearings


Concessions and fee relief

About VCAT

Our members

Our structure

Our commitment to you

Feedback and complaints

Complaints policy

Customer surveys

Annual reports and strategic plan

Careers at VCAT



Media centre

Find out VCAT case details

​Get a copy of a VCAT decision

Attend a VCAT hearing or other proceeding

​Filming, photography, audio and social media

Apply for VCAT media accreditation

Other languages

Greek – Ελληνικά

Vietnamese - tiếng Viet

Italian - Italiano

Farsi - فارسي

Chinese (simple) –中文简体

Chinese (traditional)-中文繁體

Arabic - عربي

Help and support

VCAT hearings during coronavirus restrictions

Emergency assistance

Application help

How to pay VCAT fees

Applications in progress

Respond to an application or VCAT notice

Help with your hearing

Support services at VCAT

Disability support

Family violence support

Koori support


Technology options at VCAT

What to do when things change

About VCAT decisions and orders

Your privacy and access to information

Help with legal advice

Submit your Account by Administrators (ABA)

Online applications and passwords

Contacts and locations

Melbourne (55 King Street)








Collingwood (Neighbourhood Justice Centre)






















Swan Hill







Log in