Residential tenancy disputes

Residential disputes between tenants and landlords, residents and owners of caravan parks or rooming houses, renters and the Director of Housing, and about specialist disability accommodation and supported residential services.

Get an outcome

Before you apply

Find out about what residential tenancy disputes you can bring to VCAT, time frames, application fees and how to apply.

Respond to a claim made against you

When you get a notice or SMS from VCAT, find out what this means for you, what your options are and what happens next.

Changes to residential tenancy laws during COVID-19

In March 2020 there were big changes made to the way disputes between tenants and landlords are dealt with.

Join a VCAT case

If you want someone to join a case about a residential tenancy that is already at VCAT, find out what your options are and what you need to do.

After you apply

After you apply to VCAT, understand the VCAT process, find out what you need to do and what happens next.

Common disputes and section numbers

See a list of the most common types of renting disputes taken to VCAT.

How we make decisions about termination or possession orders

When we make a decision about a termination or possession order, we must decide if it’s reasonable and proportionate.

How to access documents in a residential tenancy case

If you’re a party or represent a party in a residential tenancy dispute, find out how to access documents about the case.