Before you apply – Building and construction disputes
Domestic or commercial building disputes between a property owner, builder, sub-contractor, architect, engineer or other building practitioner – or any combination of these.
Disputes between a property owner and a warranty insurer.
Find out if you're in the right place
What we can help with
- Disputes about domestic building work
- Review a decision made by a warranty insurer
- Review a decision made by Domestic Building Dispute Resolution Victoria (DBDRV)
- Review a decision made by Victorian Building Authority (VBA)
- Exemption from the requirement for an owner-builder selling a home to have warranty insurance
- Disputes about commercial building work
What VBA decisions can VCAT review?
We can only review decisions that involve:
- Cancelling a VBA plumbing rectification notice
- Cancelling a VBA plumbing order
- A VBA decision to appoint a manager for a private building surveyor’s business, or the conditions of that appointment
- A VBA decision to refuse to issue a building permit number
- A VBA decision about the assessment or reassessment of a building permit levy
What’s owner-builder warranty insurance?
A owner-builder can apply for an exemption from the requirement to provide warranty insurance when selling the home.
What we can't help with
- Domestic building work disputes that involve a home owner and are about domestic building work or a domestic building contract if they haven’t been to Domestic Building Dispute Resolution Victoria (DBDRV) unless you are applying for an injunction
- Some cases where one party lives in another state or is a Commonwealth government organisation
- Cases heard under federal law instead of Victorian law.