Other languages

Listen to this page in your language 

You can hear this page in your language or listen to the VCAT website in English by clicking on this icon at the top of each web page.

icon for read speaker

About the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT)

VCAT is a tribunal that decides many different types of cases.

We can only hear cases when a law gives us authority and the case is connected with Victoria. Our services are available across Victoria.

Most cases follow a standard process. We will work out a suitable approach for your dispute.

Sometimes we will help you and the people you are in dispute with reach agreement by talking through the issues.

If you cannot reach an agreement, we will decide the case for you at a hearingDefinitionThe time and place at which VCAT hears the parties argue their case and makes a decision. .

VCAT is less formal than a court. In most cases, you are not required to have a lawyer or professional representative.

You can bring a friend or family memberDefinitionA person who hears and decides cases at VCAT. Some members are specialists in particular areas of law. to support you at VCAT but we do not usually let them act as an interpreter at a VCAT hearing.

Tell us before you come to VCAT if you want an interpreter and we will book one for you. If you are a partyDefinitionA person or organisation directly involved in a VCAT case, including a person or organisation that has brought the case before VCAT or who is defending claims made against them. then we pay for the interpreter.

We may be able to help if your case is about:

  • Renting a home
  • Guardianship and administration
  • Powers of Attorney
  • Good and services
  • Owners corporations
  • Planning and environment
  • Building and construction
  • Review and regulation
  • Retail and commercial leases
  • Equal opportunity
  • Legal practice
  • Co-owned property and goods
  • Land valuation
  • Water use and flow between properties
  • DisabilityDefinitionA condition that restricts a person's physical or mental capacity to interact in their environment. Disability can be temporary, situational or permanent. Act
  • Health and privacy
  • Mental health

Time limits and fees

You may need to apply within a certain time for VCAT to be able to hear your case, or wait for time to pass before you can apply.

There is usually a fee to apply. In some cases of financial hardship, you can ask us to reduce or waive the fee.

Speak to us in your language

Call the Translating and Interpreting Service on 131 450 and say the English name of your language. Then ask the interpreter to call VCAT. VCAT phone numbers are on the Contact us page of our website.

We have different telephone numbers at VCAT, depending on the type of case. Tell the interpreter what your case is about so they can find the right number to call.

You can also visit the Translating and Interpreting Service website.

Support services


Tell us if you are concerned that a person named in your application may be a security risk at the hearing.

Family violence support

If you are affected by family violence, we can support you through the application process and coordinate the hearing to ensure your safety.

Other support or assistance

If you need particular support, for example due to a disabilityDefinitionA condition that restricts a person's physical or mental capacity to interact in their environment. Disability can be temporary, situational or permanent. , let us know as early as possible. Accessible hearing rooms and toilets are available.