Applications about protecting the environment

VCAT hears applications about works approvals, licenses, pollution abatement notices, permits and other notices issued under the Environment Protection Act 1970. These applications come under Part IV of the Act, including sections 33, 33A, 33B, 34, 35 and 36A.

For all other matters

For any other application about the Environment Protection Act 1970, see our section about how to make another type of environment and resources application.

Cases we can't help with

We can’t accept some cases where one party lives in another state or is a Commonwealth government organisation.


We can explain the application process and what the form is asking you for. Contact us to get support.

We cannot give you legal advice. This means we cannot tell you what to write in your application or recommend how to get the outcome you want.

Seek legal help if you are unsure about your options or need advice about your claim.

Make an application

You may have to pay a fee with your application. Read more about fees at VCAT and how to apply for fee relief.

Download a print-friendly form

Do I need a lawyer or professional representative?

You may have a legal or other professional representation to appear at VCAT (such as a lawyer, relative, or some other person). In Environment and Resources cases you do not need to have VCAT's permission to be represented.

Find legal services that may be able to assist you.

Access and privacy

VCAT hearings and files are usually public.

VCAT has limited authority to restrict who can access cases and files but, in certain circumstances, you can apply for confidentiality.

Legislation that applies to this type of case

Environment Protection Act 1970

Other organisations that may help

VCAT can't offer you legal advice. Below are organisations that may be able to help with your case.

Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP)

Information on land planning, property and land titles and land administration.

Know Your Council

Find your local council and understand how councils make decisions on planning permits.

Environment Protection Authority Victoria

Prevents harm from pollution and waste in Victoria. Works with the community, industry and businesses.