Apply to revoke an exemption

If you believe your interests may be or have been affected by the granting of an exemption under the Equal Opportunity Act 2010, you may apply to VCAT to have the exemption revoked.

Learn more about exemptions and revoking exemptions in the Equal Opportunity Exemption factsheet.

Cases VCAT can hear

VCAT can hear applications for revocation of exemptions from the Equal Opportunity Act 2010.

Cases we can't help with

We can’t accept:

  • some cases where one party lives in another state or is a Commonwealth government organisation
  • cases heard under federal law instead of Victorian law.

Before you apply

You may wish to discuss the issue with the Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission (VEOHRC) or consider obtaining independent legal advice.

You must provide an affidavit in support of your application detailing the reasons you are seeking a revocation. You can also provide any material that you feel will support your application. You must also provide a copy of your application to the Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission.


We can explain the application process and what the form is asking you for. Contact us to get support.

We cannot give you legal advice. This means we cannot tell you what to write in your application or recommend how to get the outcome you want.

Seek legal help if you are unsure about your options or need advice about your claim.

Do I need a lawyer or professional representative?

You do not need to have legal or other professional representation to appear at VCAT. If you wish to be represented by a lawyer or a professional advocate, usually you must ask for VCAT's permission.

Find legal services that may be able to assist you.

Access and privacy

VCAT hearings and files are usually public.

VCAT has limited authority to restrict who can access cases and files but, in certain circumstances, you can apply for confidentiality.

Legislation that applies to this type of case

Equal Opportunity Act 2010

Organisations that may be able to help you

Below are organisations that may be able to help with your case.

Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission

Information and education about equal opportunity and racial and religious vilification. They also provide a dispute resolution service and education, training and consultancy services.

Victoria Legal Aid

Free legal information over the phone. Call 1300 792 387, Monday to Friday from 8am to 6pm.