Apply about a gender equality matter

Defined entities and the Public Sector Gender Equality Commissioner can apply to VCAT about enforcement orders and compliance notices under the Gender Equality Act 2020.

A defined entity is any of the following organisations with 50 or more employees:

  • public service agency
  • university
  • council
  • Court Services Victoria
  • Office of Public Prosecutions
  • public entity
  • special body
  • prescribed entity

What you can apply for

As a defined entity

You can apply for a review of the Public Sector Gender Equality Commissioner’s decision to confirm a compliance notice.

You must apply to VCAT within 28 days of receiving the Commissioner’s decision.

As the Public Sector Gender Equality Commissioner

You can apply for:

  • an order directing the defined entity to follow a compliance notice
  • an order enforcing an undertaking because the defined entity failed to follow any of its terms.

What can VCAT do?

VCAT can make orders: 

  • to confirm a compliance notice
  • directing a defined entity to comply with a compliance notice
  • directing a defined entity to follow the terms of an undertaking
  • outlining actions a defined entity must follow as part of an undertaking
  • we consider appropriate to enforce an undertaking.

Documents you need to apply

When applying, you must provide a copy of the compliance notice. 

If you’re applying for an enforcement order, you must also provide a copy of the undertaking. 


There are no application or hearing fees.

You may have to pay a fee for other VCAT services.


We can explain the application process and what the form is asking you for. Contact us to get support.

We cannot give you legal advice. This means we cannot tell you what to write in your application or recommend how to get the outcome you want.

Seek legal help if you are unsure about your options or need advice about your claim.

Apply as a defined entity

Print-friendly application form

Apply as the Public Sector Gender Equality Commissioner

Print-friendly application form

Do I need a lawyer or professional representative?

You do not need to have legal or other professional representation to appear at VCAT. If you wish to be represented by a lawyer or a professional advocate, usually you must ask for VCAT's permission.

Find legal services that may be able to assist you.

Access and privacy

VCAT hearings and files are usually public.

VCAT has limited authority to restrict who can access cases and files but, in certain circumstances, you can apply for confidentiality.

Legislation that applies to this type of case

Gender Equality Act 2020