Resolve a dispute about unlawful discrimination, sexual harassment, victimisation or vilification

If you have experienced unlawful discrimination, sexual harassment, victimisation or vilification you may apply to VCAT under the Equal Opportunity Act 2010 or the Racial and Religious Tolerance Act 2001.

Under the Equal Opportunity Act 2010 you can apply directly to VCAT for resolution of your case or you can lodge a dispute with the Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission. Lodging a dispute with the Commission does not stop a party from withdrawing that dispute and making an application to VCAT.

Learn more at the Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission website about what constitutes discrimination, sexual harassment, victimisation or vilification.

Cases VCAT can hear

  • Discrimination applications lodged direct with VCAT under the Equal Opportunity Act 2010; 
  • Discrimination complaints referred from the Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission under the old Act (Equal Opportunity Act 1995) and the Racial and Religious Tolerance Act 2001.

Cases we can't help with

We can’t accept:

  • some cases where one party lives in another state or is a Commonwealth government organisation
  • cases heard under federal law instead of Victorian law.

Before you apply

Before you apply to VCAT, consider whether you should apply to the Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission (VEOHRC). The Commission provides dispute resolution services.

You could also consider contacting the other party to see if you can settle the dispute between you. If you cannot come to an agreement that resolves the dispute, you may apply to VCAT.


We can explain the application process and what the form is asking you for. Contact us to get support.

We cannot give you legal advice. This means we cannot tell you what to write in your application or recommend how to get the outcome you want.

Seek legal help if you are unsure about your options or need advice about your claim.

Make an application

Unless you are applying for an exemption from any provision of Victorian discrimination law, there are no application or hearing fees. You may have to pay a fee for other VCAT services.

Print-friendly application form

Do I need a lawyer or professional representative?

You do not need to have a lawyer or a professional representative to appear at VCAT. Many people choose to represent themselves at VCAT, without engaging a lawyer. Find free or low-cost legal services that may be able to assist you.

If you wish to be represented by a lawyer or a professional advocate, usually you must ask for VCAT's permission. Read more about professional representation at VCAT.

Access and privacy

VCAT hearings and files are usually public.

VCAT has limited authority to restrict who can access cases and files but, in certain circumstances, you can apply for confidentiality.

If you need assistance at VCAT (including interpreters, video or telephone links, or hearing loops) please contact us as early as possible so we can assist you. Learn more about customer support at VCAT.

Legislation that applies to this type of case

Organisations that may be able to help you

VCAT can't offer you legal advice. Below are organisations that may be able to help with your case.

Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission

Information and education about equal opportunity and racial and religious vilification. They also provide a dispute resolution service and education, training and consultancy services.

Victoria Legal Aid

Free legal information over the phone. Call 1300 792 387, Monday to Friday from 8am to 6pm.