Review of a decision on the valuation of land

We can hear cases where an objection to the valuation authority has been lodged under:

  • section 22 Valuation of Land Act 1960
  • section 19(4) Subdivision Act 1988
  • section 266(6) Water Act 1989
  • section 51ZO(1) Urban Renewal Authority Victoria Act 2003
  • section 5.7A.12 Education and Training Reform Act 2006.

Cases we can't help with

We can’t accept:

  • some cases where one party lives in another state or is a Commonwealth government organisation
  • cases heard under federal law instead of Victorian law.

Before you apply

The objection process under section 22(1) of the Valuation of Land Act 1960 must be followed before you can make an application for review to VCAT. Your right to apply for review arises from the decision of the Valuer or Valuer-General in relation to the objection to the valuation, not the original valuation by the valuation authority.

If you are applying because you believe a valuation is too high or too low, you must state in your application what you believe is the correct value. If there are other grounds of appeal, you must provide your grounds of review. You must also lodge supporting documents with the application form, including the name of any valuer, the amount of the valuation placed by that valuer on the land and the details of sales or rentals that the valuer relied on to reach the valuation. If this information is not supplied with the application form, we generally tell you to supply the information before any compulsory conference or hearing.

Time limits

You must apply within 30 days of the notice of the decision being given.

If the valuation authority or Valuer-General do not make a decision about the objection within time periods set out in the Valuation of Land Act 1960, they are deemed to have disallowed the objection.

You must send a copy of the application to the valuation authority within seven days of lodging your application with us.

Valuation of land

If you have objected to a valuation by a valuation authority and the valuation has been reviewed by the valuer or the Valuer-General, and you are still not satisfied with the valuation you may apply to VCAT to review that decision. The procedure for reviewing the decision by the valuation authority is set out in the Valuation of Land Act 1960. Make these applications under Division 4, Part III of the Valuation of Land Act 1960.

If your matter relates to windfall gains tax (Windfall Tax Act 2021), indicate you are applying under the Valuation of Land Act 1960 in the application form.

Public open space

If you have objected to a valuation of land for public open space, and you are still not satisfied with the valuation you may apply to VCAT to review that decision. Make these applications under section 19(4) of the Subdivision Act 1988.

Disputes about fees, tariffs and valuations under the Water Act 1989

Authorities under the Water Act 1989 have powers to set tariffs and impose fees on serviced properties and unserviced properties in their districts. The authority may also impose a valuation equalisation if the relevant district covers more than one municipality and the municipal valuations were not all made in the same year. If you object to the calculation or application of a valuation equalisation factor, or to the fixing of different fees that are based on valuation, you may apply to VCAT for review. Make these applications under section 266(6) of the Water Act 1989.

Assessment of development value

If you have objected to the development value used in the calculation of a charge. Make these applications under section 51ZO(1) of the Urban Renewal Authority Victoria Act 2003.


We can explain the application process and what the form is asking you for. Contact us to get support.

We cannot give you legal advice. This means we cannot tell you what to write in your application or recommend how to get the outcome you want.

Seek legal help if you are unsure about your options or need advice about your claim.

Make an application

Learn more about fees or apply for fee relief.

If you have any difficulties with applying online, contact us on 1300 01 8228.

Do I need a lawyer or professional representative?

You do not need to have legal or other professional representation to appear at VCAT. If you wish to be represented by a lawyer or a professional advocate, usually you must ask for VCAT's permission.

Find legal services that may be able to assist you.

Access and privacy

VCAT hearings and files are usually public.

VCAT has limited authority to restrict who can access cases and files but, in certain circumstances, you can apply for confidentiality.

Legislation that applies to this type of case

Organisations that may be able to help you

VCAT can't offer you legal advice. Below are organisations that may be able to help with your case.

Valuer-General Victoria

Decides on council rating valuations and valuation for State Government property transactions.