Disqualify someone who is not a lawyer

The Victorian Legal Services Board can apply to VCAT to disqualify someone who has been convicted of a serious offence, is not a fit and proper person or is otherwise unsuitable to work in a legal office.

'Fit and proper' is a legal term that incorporates such things as honesty, knowledge, ability and character.

A disqualified person must not be employed by any legal practitioner unless the Victorian Legal Services Board gives its approval.

Do I need a lawyer or professional representative?

If you are a respondent to an application for disqualification, you may be legally represented if you wish.

Find legal services that may be able to assist you.

Access and privacy

VCAT hearings and files are usually public.

VCAT has limited authority to restrict who can access cases and files but, in certain circumstances, you can apply for confidentiality.

Organisations that may be able to help you

VCAT can't offer you legal advice. Below are organisations that may be able to help with your case.

Law Institute of Victoria (LIV)

Advice on the Victorian legal system and how to find a lawyer.

Victorian Bar

You can find a barrister yourself on the Victorian Bar website.