Review of a decision by the Patient Review Panel

We can review a Patient Review Panel decision that there is a barrier to an assisted reproductive treatment and about surrogacy arrangements. 

Make this type of application for review under the Assisted Reproductive Treatment Act 2008.

Cases we can't help with

We can’t accept:

  • some cases where one party lives in another state or is a Commonwealth government organisation
  • cases heard under federal law instead of Victorian law.

Responsibilities of the Patient Review Panel

When we receive an application for review of a decision made under the Assisted Reproductive Treatment Act 2008 the Patient Review Panel must lodge with us:

  • a statement of reasons for that decision
  • other documents they consider relevant to the review of the decision.

This a requirement under section 49 of the Victorian Civil and Administrative Act 1998. Sometimes we refer to these materials as the section 49 statement.

Time limits

The Patient Review Panel must lodge their section 48 statement within 28 days after either the day they receive notice of the application to VCAT or the day they refer the decision to VCAT.


There are no application or hearing fees. You may have to pay a fee for other VCAT services.


We can explain the application process and what the form is asking you for. Contact us to get support.

We cannot give you legal advice. This means we cannot tell you what to write in your application or recommend how to get the outcome you want.

Seek legal help if you are unsure about your options or need advice about your claim.

Do I need a lawyer or professional representative?

You do not need to have legal or other professional representation to appear at VCAT. If you wish to be represented by a lawyer or a professional advocate, usually you must ask for VCAT's permission.

Find legal services that may be able to assist you.

Access and privacy

VCAT hearings and files are usually public.

VCAT has limited authority to restrict who can access cases and files but, in certain circumstances, you can apply for confidentiality.

Legislation that applies to this type of case