Relationships Act 2008 (review)

VCAT can review certain decisions made by the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages under the Relationships Act 1988.

This page provides general information and should not be considered as legal advice. Seek legal advice if you are unsure about your legal rights. Be aware that the law can change.

Cases we can hear

If you are a person whose interests are affected by a decision of the Registrar under the Act you may be able to apply to VCAT for review of the decision.

Decisions made by the Registrar under this Act principally relate to the relationships register, established for the registration of ‘registrable’ domestic relationships and caring relationships. Some examples of decisions that may be reviewable are refusals to register a relationship, the revocation of a registration, or amendment or correction of an entry in the register.

Cases we can't help with

We can’t accept:

  • some cases where one party lives in another state or is a Commonwealth government organisation
  • cases heard under federal law instead of Victorian law.


We can explain the application process and what the form is asking you for. Contact us to get support.

We cannot give you legal advice. This means we cannot tell you what to write in your application or recommend how to get the outcome you want.

Seek legal help if you are unsure about your options or need advice about your claim.

Make an application

You may have to pay a fee to apply to VCAT to review a decision. Learn more about fees or apply for fee relief.

Print-friendly application form

Do I need a lawyer or professional representative?

You do not need to have legal or other professional representation to appear at VCAT. If you want to be represented by a lawyer or a professional advocate, usually you must ask for VCAT's permission.

Be aware that the regulatory body in most cases uses legal representation.

Find legal services that may be able to assist you.

Access and privacy

VCAT hearings and files are usually public.

VCAT has limited authority to restrict who can access cases and files but, in certain circumstances, you can apply for confidentiality.