Seafood Safety Act 2003 (review)

VCAT can review certain decisions made by the Victorian Meat Authority (re-named as PrimeSafe) under the Seafood Safety Act 2003

This page provides general information and should not be considered as legal advice. Seek legal advice if you are unsure about your legal rights. Be aware that the law can change.

Cases we can hear

You may by able to apply to VCAT for a review if you are a person whose interests are affected by a decision of the Authority to:

  • refuse to grant an exemption under section 10(1) of the Act in respect of a seafood safety licence
  • refuse to issue a seafood safety licence
  • issue or renew a seafood safety licence subject to conditions
  • refuse to renew a seafood safety licence
  • refuse to transfer a seafood safety licence
  • cancel a seafood safety licence
  • suspend a seafood safety licence
  • amend, vary or delete a condition or insert a new condition in a seafood safety licence.

Cases we can't help with

We can’t accept:

  • some cases where one party lives in another state or is a Commonwealth government organisation
  • cases heard under federal law instead of Victorian law.

Legislation that gives VCAT the power to hear these applications

Section 60 of the Seafood Safety Act 2003

If you have a decision document, use it to help you complete the VCAT application form and attach a copy of the document to your application.

Time limits

You must make your application within 28 days of either:

  • the decision being made
  • if you requested a statement of reasons under the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal Act, from the date the statement of reasons was given to you or you were informed that a statement of reasons will not be given.

You may be able to apply for an extension to this time limit.

What can VCAT order?

Unless the relevant Act of Parliament gives us different powers, VCAT can:

  • affirm the original decision, in which case the original decision will stand
  • vary the decision
  • set aside the decision and substitute our own decision
  • set aside the decision and remit (send back) the matter for reconsideration by the decision maker giving directions or recommendations
  • invite the decision-maker to reconsider their decision at any time during the case.


We can explain the application process and what the form is asking you for. Contact us to get support.

We cannot give you legal advice. This means we cannot tell you what to write in your application or recommend how to get the outcome you want.

Seek legal help if you are unsure about your options or need advice about your claim.

Make an application

You may have to pay a fee to apply to VCAT to review a decision. Learn more about fees or apply for fee relief.

Print-friendly application form

Do I need a lawyer or professional representative?

You do not need to have legal or other professional representation to appear at VCAT. If you wish to be represented by a lawyer or a professional advocate, usually you must ask for VCAT's permission.

Be aware that the regulatory body in most cases uses legal representation.

Find legal services that may be able to assist you.

Access and privacy

VCAT hearings and files are usually public.

VCAT has limited authority to restrict who can access cases and files but, in certain circumstances, you can apply for confidentiality.