Application to VCAT to make an original jurisdiction decision

Under some Acts of Parliament, the Review and Regulation List of VCAT has the power to hear cases under 'original jurisdiction' as well as review jurisdiction.

Original jurisdiction means VCAT is the first instance decision-maker under the Act.

This page provides general information and shouldn't be considered as legal advice. Seek legal advice if you're unsure about your legal rights. Be aware that the law can change. 

Legislation that applies to this case type

Cases we can't help with

We can’t accept some cases where one party lives in another state or is a Commonwealth government organisation.

Name the Act in your application

When you complete the Application for Order form include the name of the relevant Act.

Before you apply

Make sure VCAT has the power to hear your application. If you have received a letter from a decision-maker read the letter carefully – the application you need to make may be an application for review.


We can explain the application process and what the form is asking you for. Contact us to get support.

We can't give you legal advice. This means we can't tell you what to write in your application or recommend how to get the outcome you want.

Seek legal help if you're unsure about your options or need advice about your claim.

Make an application

You may have to pay a fee to apply to VCAT to review a decision. Learn more about fees or apply for fee relief.

Print-friendly application form

Do I need a lawyer or professional representative?

You don't need to have legal or other professional representation to appear at VCAT. If you want to be represented by a lawyer or a professional advocate, usually you must ask for VCAT's permission. Be aware that the regulatory body in most cases uses legal representation.

Find legal services that may be able to assist you.

Access and privacy

VCAT hearings and files are usually public.

VCAT has limited authority to restrict who can access cases and files but, in certain circumstances, you can apply for confidentiality.