Building and Construction

VCAT hears and decides cases about commercial and domestic building disputes.

The dispute may be between a property owner, builder, sub-contractor, architect, warranty insurer, engineer or other building practitioner – or any combination of them.

There is no limit on the amount of money that can be claimed.

Claims for defective building works must be made within 10 years of the date of the occupancy certificate, or – where there is no occupancy certificate – 10 years from the date of issue of the certificate of final inspection.

If you need to urgently stop a partyDefinitionA person or organisation directly involved in a VCAT case, including a person or organisation that has brought the case before VCAT or who is defending claims made against them. from doing something or make a party do something then you can apply for an injunction.

If you want to object to a building proposal or a planning permit being issued, see Planning and Environment.

Cases VCAT can hear