Applications about protecting the environment

VCAT hears and determines disputes about works approvals, licenses, pollution abatement notices, permits and other notices issued under the Environment Protection Act 1970.

These applications come under Part IV of the Act, including sections 33, 33A, 33B, 34, 35, 36A and 36AA.

For all other matters

For any other application about the Environment Protection Act 1970, learn how you can make another type of environment and resources application.

Do I need a lawyer or professional representative?

You may have a legal or other professional representation to appear at VCAT (such as a lawyer, relative, or some other person). In Planning and Environment cases you do not need to have VCAT's permission to be represented.

Find legal services that may be able to assist you.

Need help with your application?

We can explain the application process and what the form is asking you for. Contact us to get support.

We cannot give you legal advice. This means we cannot tell you what to write in your application or recommend how to get the outcome you want.

Seek legal help if you are unsure about your options or need advice about your claim.

Access and privacy

VCAT hearings and files are usually public.

VCAT has limited authority to restrict who can access cases and files but, in certain circumstances, you can apply for confidentiality.

Legislation that applies to this type of case

Environment Protection Act 1970