Guardianship and Powers of Attorney
You can apply to have VCAT appoint a guardian , appoint an administrator , cancel these appointments or decide on matters about powers of attorney.
Guardianship and administration
- appoint a guardian or administrator
- reassess or cancel the appointment of a guardian or administrator
- have an interstate appointment of a guardian or administrator (or equivalent) recognised in Victoria
- consent to a special medical procedure being carried out on a person with a disability who is incapable of giving their own consent
- appoint an administrator for a missing person.
Powers of attorney
VCAT decides on matters about enduring powers of attorney or supportive attorney appointments.
- suspend, cancel or vary an appointment
- decide if an appointment is valid
- determine the liability of attorneys
- resolve disputes between attorneys
- order compensation for loss caused if an enduring attorney does not comply with the Powers of Attorney Act 2014
- decide whether a transaction by an attorney is valid.
Learn more about applying for the following matters:
If you want to appoint someone as an attorney to act on your behalf, find out how from the Office of the Public Advocate
Medical enduring power of attorney
A person who was given the power to make medical decisions on behalf of someone else was previously called a medical agent. This person is now called a medical treatment decision maker under the Medical Treatment Planning and Decisions Act 2016.
If you are concerned about a medical treatment decision made by either the medical treatment decision maker or the person who made the appointment, you can challenge the medical treatment decision.
Account by Administrator
Current administrators must complete and lodge an online Account by Administrator (ABA) every year unless VCAT has ordered otherwise. Lodging an ABA is a mandatory legal requirement to ensure that the represented person’s finances are being managed appropriately. Lodge your application, access and continue an existing application, upload supporting documents and find out how to pay the Annual Administration Fee on our Account by Administrator page.