Guardianship and Powers of Attorney

You can apply to have VCAT appoint a guardian or administrator, appoint a supportive guardian or supportive administrator, reassess or cancel these appointments, or decide on matters about powers of attorney.

Guardianship and administration

A guardian makes personal lifestyle decisions for a person with disability, including decisions about their living arrangements, work arrangements, medical treatment, and access to people and services.

An administrator makes financial and property decisions for a person with disability, including decisions about buying or selling property, banking, investing, paying bills and managing debts.

A supportive guardian or supportive administrator helps an adult with disability who can make their own decisions.

Find out more about the responsibilities of guardians, administrators, supportive guardians and supportive administrators.

You can apply to VCAT to:

You can also write to VCAT to request other orders, seek advice, or report someone's death or a change of circumstances.

Account by Administrator

Current administrators must complete and lodge an online Account by Administrator (ABA) by 30 September every year unless VCAT has ordered otherwise. Lodging an ABA is a mandatory legal requirement to ensure that the represented person's finances are being managed appropriately. Lodge your application, access and continue an existing application, upload supporting documents and find out how to pay the Annual Administration Fee on our Account by Administrator page.

Powers of attorney

VCAT decides on matters about enduring powers of attorney or supportive attorney appointments.

We can:

  • suspend, cancel or vary an appointment
  • decide if an appointment is valid
  • determine the liability of attorneys
  • resolve disputes between attorneys
  • order compensation for loss caused if an enduring attorney does not comply with the Powers of Attorney Act 2014
  • decide whether a transaction by an attorney is valid.

Learn more about applying for the following matters:

If you want to appoint someone as an attorney to act on your behalf, find out how from the Office of the Public Advocate

Medical enduring power of attorney

A person who was given the power to make medical decisions on behalf of someone else was previously called a medical agent. This person is now called a medical treatment decision maker under the Medical Treatment Planning and Decisions Act 2016.

If you are concerned about a medical treatment decision made by either the medical treatment decision maker or the person who made the appointment, you can challenge the medical treatment decision.

Choose the type of application that applies to you