You may be able to resolve your dispute by negotiating with the other party .
If you can resolve your dispute there may be no need to attend a hearing .
You can try to resolve your dispute yourself at any time by negotiating directly with the other party. Advise VCAT in writing if you reach an agreement.
Alternative dispute resolution services at VCAT
At VCAT, we provide alternative dispute resolution services.
Alternative dispute resolution involves a confidential meeting where parties can explore options to resolve their dispute with the help of an impartial mediator or VCAT member .
Alternative dispute resolution services we offer includes:
- compulsory conference
- fast track mediation and hearing (for resolving goods and services disputes up to $10,000).
Confirm your settlement
If you and the other party come to an agreement, we can confirm the settlement arrangement with a legally binding document called a consent order.
Learn more about applying for a consent order.
- VCAT practice note - PNVCAT1 - Common Procedures
- VCAT practice note - PNVCAT4 - Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)
- VCAT practice note - PNVCAT2 - Expert Evidence
- VCAT practice note - PNVCAT5 - Directions Hearings and Urgent Hearings
- VCAT practice note - PNVCAT3 - Fair Hearing Obligation
- VCAT practice note - PNVCAT6 - Hearing Fees