Resolve a case by agreement

You may be able to resolve your dispute by negotiating with the other partyDefinitionA person or organisation directly involved in a VCAT case, including a person or organisation that has brought the case before VCAT or who is defending claims made against them. .

If you can resolve your dispute there may be no need to attend a hearingDefinitionThe time and place at which VCAT hears the parties argue their case and makes a decision. .

You can try to resolve your dispute yourself at any time by negotiating directly with the other party. Get tips on how you can settle the dispute.

Advise VCAT in writing if you reach an agreement.

Alternative dispute resolution services at VCAT

At VCAT, we provide alternative dispute resolution services.

Alternative dispute resolution involves a confidential meeting where parties can explore options to resolve their dispute with the help of an impartial mediator or VCAT memberDefinitionA person who hears and decides cases at VCAT. Some members are specialists in particular areas of law. .

Alternative dispute resolution services we offer includes:

Confirm your settlement

If you and the other party come to an agreement, we can confirm the settlement arrangement with a legally binding document called a consent order.

Learn more about applying for a consent order.

Case types

Some details of the steps to follow during a VCAT case vary for different case types.
Choose a case type to see any case type specific variations.