When we receive an application and the correct fee, we first review it to make sure it fits within VCAT's jurisdiction and then open a new case.
We assign each case a reference number. Use this reference number whenever you contact us or the other people involved in the case. The reference number appears on anything we send you about your case.
The VCAT reference number is usually different to the number you receive when you apply using one of our online forms. When we talk about the VCAT reference number, we mean the number that we assign to the case and attach to the VCAT file – not the online reference number.
What happens next
Depending on the type of case, we may give instructions about how the case will be managed. We refer many cases directly to mediation, directions hearings or small claims hearings without first making orders.
Check the correspondence or notices you receive from VCAT carefully and follow the instructions we provide.
When we open a case we give instructions to the applicant about how the case will be managed. These are called directions or orders. In most cases, we also give instructions to the other parties in the case.
What you can do
You can ask us to consider how your case is managed. You can apply for:
- an urgent hearing
- an injunction to stop the other party from doing something before the hearing takes place
- confidentiality – to restrict access to information about the case
- another person to be added to the case
- a dismissal or strikeout of the case.
Information you provide in relation to a case
If you provide information to us in relation to a case we are hearing we are obliged by law to share it with other parties in the case.
Most VCAT files, decisions and hearings are available to the public. If you want to provide information to us in confidence you must first apply for confidentiality.
Read more in our practice note on common procedures.
- VCAT practice note - PNVCAT1 - Common Procedures
- VCAT practice note - PNVCAT4 - Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)
- VCAT practice note - PNVCAT2 - Expert Evidence
- VCAT practice note - PNVCAT5 - Directions Hearings and Urgent Hearings
- VCAT practice note - PNVCAT3 - Fair Hearing Obligation
- VCAT practice note - PNVCAT6 - Hearing Fees