Legal help and advice services

VCAT cannot provide legal advice but there are service providers who can give legal advice or information.

VCAT cannot provide legal advice but there are service providers who can give legal advice or information.

Some services are free. You can also seek the help of a private lawyer, which may require you to pay a fee.

Free or low-cost services

The following services offer free or low cost legal advice or support.

Victoria Legal Aid

Victoria Legal Aid provides free legal information and education for all Victorians. They can also provide advice and legal representation based on their financial situation and other individual circumstances.

They have offices throughout Victoria and provide duty lawyer services.

Call their Legal Help phone service on 1300 792 387 to talk to someone in English or another language. For more information, go to the Victoria Legal Aid website

Duty lawyers

Victoria Legal Aid’s duty lawyers service may be able to provide free, confidential legal advice and representation to renters(tenants) and residents with possession (eviction) matters and restraining orders. 

If you would like help from a duty lawyer, please call Victoria Legal Aid’s Legal Help phone line before your hearing date on 1300 792 387.

Community legal centres

Community legal centres offer free legal help, particularly for people experiencing financial difficulties or those at a social disadvantage.

To find your nearest community legal centre, call 03 9652 1500 or go the Federation of Community Legal Centres website

Justice Connect

Justice Connect provides free legal services to people experiencing disadvantage and develops programs to meet the legal needs of homeless people, seniors, not-for-profit organisations and self-represented individuals.

Call 8636 4400 or go to the Justice Connect website

Court Network

Court Network has volunteers who provide information, support and refer people to other services. They do not provide legal advice.

Victorian Aboriginal Legal Service

If you are an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander you may be able to access legal advice through the Victorian Aboriginal Legal Service (VALS). Call 1800 064 865 and ask for their civil team.

Domestic Building Legal Service

Justice Connect's DBLS provides advice and assistance to eligible home owners whose domestic building disputes were not resolved at DBDRV. It can assist home owners who do not have access to legal help and advice from other sources. Visit the Domestic Building Legal Service website for assistance.

Find a private lawyer

A private lawyer can help explain your legal problem and help you resolve it.

The Law Institute of Victoria can refer you to a lawyer that deals with your particular issue. These lawyers offer a free 30-minute consultation over the phone before they start charging a fee for their services. To get a legal referral from the Law Institute of Victoria, call their telephone referral service on 03 9607 9550 or check their directory

Alternatively, you can find a lawyer yourself. Find a barrister on the Victorian Bar website

Other organisations that may help

Other organisations may be able to help you with your dispute. You can contact them before you come to VCAT or once your case has started.