Make another type of environment and resources application

VCAT can deal with a range of disputes about the use, development or management of natural resources or the protection of the environment.

Other than those listed on other pages of this website, you can apply to VCAT for a review of a decision:

  • under the Catchment and Land Protection Act 1994 about land management notices or land use conditions (section 48 of the Act)
  • under the Water Act 1989, not otherwise listed as an application about natural resources
  • under the Environment Protection Act 1970, not otherwise listed as an application about protecting the environment
  • under the Conservation, Forests and Lands Act 1987 about variations or termination of land management co-operative agreements (section 76 of the Act)
  • under the Flora and Fauna Guarantee Act 1988 about habitat conservation orders ( sections 33 and 36 of the Act)
  • under the Melbourne Strategic Assessment (Environment Mitigation Levy) Act 2020
  • under the Mineral Resources (Sustainable Development) Act 1990, other than matters about extractive industry referred to as an application about protecting the environment
  • under the Petroleum Act 1998
  • under the Plant Biosecurity Act 2010 (sections 48 and section 59 of the Act).

Cases we can't help with

We can’t accept some cases where one party lives in another state or is a Commonwealth government organisation.


We can explain the application process and what the form is asking you for. Contact us to get support.

We cannot give you legal advice. This means we cannot tell you what to write in your application or recommend how to get the outcome you want.

Seek legal help if you are unsure about your options or need advice about your claim.

Make an application

You may have to pay a fee with your application. Read more about fees at VCAT and how to apply for fee relief.

Download a print-friendly form

Do I need a lawyer or professional representative?

You may have a legal or other professional representation to appear at VCAT (such as a lawyer, relative, or some other person). In Environment and Resources cases you do not need to have VCAT's permission to be represented.

Find legal services that may be able to assist you.

Access and privacy

VCAT hearings and files are usually public.

VCAT has limited authority to restrict who can access cases and files but, in certain circumstances, you can apply for confidentiality.

Legislation that applies to this type of case

Organisations that may be able to help you

VCAT can't offer you legal advice. Below are organisations that may be able to help with your case.

Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP)

Information on land planning, property and land titles and land administration.

Know Your Council

Find your local council and understand how councils make decisions on planning permits.

Melbourne Strategic Assessment

DELWP's Melbourne Strategic Assessment program manages the impact of urban development on significant vegetation communities, plants and animals.