More help with Account by Administrator (ABA)

How to log in to submit your ABA, submit financial information, about passwords and fees.

What is the accounting period for the ABA?

Usually this is the previous financial year, 1 July to 30 June.

Check the VCAT Administration Order for the accounting period.

How do I calculate the represented person's fortnightly income?

The online form automatically calculates this figure for you.

If you have permission to submit a paper-based ABA, you must calculate the fortnightly income yourself. Divide the total gross income amount (from all sources) by 26 weeks.

Income ÷ 26 = Fortnightly income

How do I provide supporting documents in the ABA form?

Upload your files on the online form under ‘Supporting documents’. 

You must follow these guidelines to upload files correctly: 

  • use PDF, DOC, DOCX, CSV, XLS, XLSX, JPG or PNG file extensions 
  • each file must be under 3MB in size. 
  • do not provide links to cloud-based platforms such as OneDrive, Dropbox and Google Drive 
  • do not upload documents that are protected with passwords or security codes. 

What if I don't have a computer to submit the ABA online?

Public computers or tablets are available at local libraries and community centres.

What if I want to complete an ABA on paper?

We recommend using the online form because they are processed faster and it works out if you need to pay the Annual Administration Fee. 

If you want to submit a hard copy (paper-based) ABA form, you need to ask us for permission. 
Email or call 1300 01 8228 (press option 2) Monday to Friday between 9am and 5pm. 
If we allow you to submit a paper-based ABA you need to calculate the fortnightly income of the represented person. This figure is the represented person's annual income from all sources (excluding proceeds from the sale of property or assets) divided by 26. 

If the represented person's fortnightly income from all sources is less than $844, you must complete the payment slip on the back of the VCAT letter (sent to you in July) and return this with the ABA to confirm no fee is payable. 

Do not send the payment slip without the ABA. 

When completing the form, you need to manually calculate the represented person's total pensions. Add each pension payment for the last financial year as they appear on the represented person's bank statements. The figure stated on Centrelink PAYG statements is understated for ABA purposes.

What if a represented person has more than one administrator?

You must give us details of all appointed administrators. 

But you submit only one ABA and pay one fee.

Joint administrators must discuss among themselves who arranges payment. 

If we give you permission to submit a paper-based ABA form, all administrators must sign the Acknowledgement section.

What if my financial summary information in the ABA form doesn't balance?

A 5% margin applies if the ABA doesn't balance. 

If the margin is over 5%, go back and check all financial information you’ve entered. 

If the ABA still doesn’t balance, you must explain why in the form. 

Should I keep a copy of the ABA?

Yes, keep a copy of the ABA and all supporting documents for a period of five years. 

If you use our online form, you can save or print a copy of the ABA before you submit it. 

Do I need to give a copy of the ABA to anyone else?

Only if the VCAT Administration Order directs you to provide a copy of the ABA to someone else.

If you use our online form, you can save or print a copy of the ABA before you submit it. 

What if I need to change my details but already submitted by ABA?

Notify VCAT of changes in writing by either: